Monday 14 October 2013

My roles in Scouting

So I've told you I volunteer with The Scout Association, I haven't told you what I do... so here goes:

I have too many roles, I'll be the first to admit that, and I'm trying hard to shed a couple of them, but volunteers who say "yes" to things, get asked to do more - so I need to work harder at saying "NO".  If you're thinking of volunteering for The Scout Association, the first thing I'll say is don't be put off by the volume of volunteering indicated by this blog.  We welcome you regardless of how much time you have available to commit, as long as you want to do the best for our young people.  

Not all roles in Scouting involve young people.  None of mine do.  I do come across them quite regularly, which is important as it reminds me what we're doing this for, but my roles are all to do with the adult volunteers.  

In this blog I'm going to try hard to ensure that I don't reveal particulars about people or places that would be inappropriate or cause upset should a person recognise themselves, so please forgive me if I don't give all the juicy details in some of my posts!

Deputy District Commissioner (DDC)  - The District Commissioner is responsible for what happens in his District.  He supports and manages Scouting throughout the District, makes sure that rules, guidelines and policy are being adhered to, and grows and develops Scouting in the District.  I'm his Deputy.

Assistant District Commissioner (Adult Training) (ADC AT) - Just to clarify, this role only exists in Scotland, not elsewhere in the UK, where County Training Managers and Local Training Managers fulfill these duties.  I make sure that there are opportunities for all adults in Scouting to do their required training and encourage them to do so.  I record the training completed on the Scout database.  I manage a team of Training Advisers who support a few Leaders each as they work through their training.  In practice this means that I am also a Trainer (delivering the training) and a Training Adviser for any Leaders for whom I have not found a Training Adviser!

UKHQ Volunteer - UK Scout Headquarters is at Gilwell Park just outside London.  Paid staff there look after Corporate Partnerships, Communications, Insurance and so on, and also support the volunteers in the areas of programme, development and training.  I'm part of a project group currently looking into the 18-25 year old Section.

SHQ Adult Training Support Team - Scottish Scout Headquarters is at Fordell Firs, just outside Dunfermline.  The Scottish Commissioner for Adult Training (she's a volunteer too, her other job is as a Headteacher!) has a small team to help her in her role - I'm on that team.

When I post on this blog, I'll try to remember to indicate which role/hat I'm wearing for each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment